- Assistant Professor of Physics (Tenure-Track), City University of New York, USA, 2014-2016
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Princeton University, NJ, USA, 2012-2014
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of Toronto, CANADA, 2011-2012
- Ph.D in Physics: State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA (co-advisor at Brookhaven National Laboratory, USA) , 2011
- Masters in Physics: State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA, 2007
- Bachelors Honors in Physics: St. Stephens College, University of Delhi, India, 2005
Classical Mechanics (Fall 2018)
Classical Mechanics (Fall 2019)
My research interests include:
Condensed Matter Theory, Cold Atomic Gases, Non-equilibrium Physics with light and matter, Mesoscopic Quantum Optics, Hybrid circuit-QED systems, Integrable Models, Mathematical Physics, Nonlinear Hydrodynamics
1. Amit Kumar Chatterjee, Postdoctoral Fellow
2. Amit Dey, Postdoctoral Fellow
3. Abhishodh Prakash, ICTS-Simons Postdoctoral Fellow
4. Urbashi Satpathi, Postdoctoral Fellow
5. Devashish Tupkary, Masters student
6. Raghavendra Nimiwal, Masters student
7. Avanish Kumar, Long Term Visitor
8. Aman Agarwal, Masters student
1. Manoj Kumar, Postdoctoral Fellow [Currently - Newton International Fellow, Coventry University, U.K.]
2. Jincheng Lu, Project Student [Currently - PhD student at Soochow University, China]
3. Swetlana Swarup, Project Student [Currently - PhD student at University of Minnesota, USA]
4. Sanaa Agarwal, Masters student [Currently - PhD student at University of Colorado, USA]
5. Sayantan Roy, Masters student [Currently - PhD student at Ohio State University, USA]
6. Aritra Kumar Gon, Project Student [Currently - PhD Student, TIFR Mumbai, India]
7. Abhinav Sundhar, IASc. summer fellow [Currently - BITS Pilani, India]
8. Anant Rastogi, Project Student [Currently - IIT Madras, India]
46. A. Kumar, M. Kulkarni, A. Kundu, arXiv:1911.06675 (2019), "Particles confined in arbitrary potentials with a class of finite-ranged interactions"
45. M. Kumar, A. Kundu, M. Kulkarni, D. A. Huse, A. Dhar, arXiv:1911.03753 (2019), "Transport in a classical disordered nonlinear system: signatures of many-body localization"
44. A. Dey, M. Kulkarni, arXiv:1909.09392 (2019), "Engineering indefinitely long-lived localization in cavity-QED arrays"
43. S. Swarup, V. Vasan, M. Kulkarni, arXiv:1908.02248 (2019), "Provable bounds for the Korteweg-de Vries reduction in multi-component Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation"
42. S. Agarwal, A. Dhar, M. Kulkarni, A. Kundu, S. N. Majumdar, D. Mukamel, G. Schehr, Phys. Rev. Lett. 123, 100603 (2019), Editors' Suggestion, "Harmonically confined particles with long-range repulsive interactions"
41. A. Das, M. Kulkarni, H. Spohn, A. Dhar, Phys. Rev. E 100, 042116 (2019), "Kardar-Parisi-Zhang scaling for an integrable lattice Landau-Lifshitz spin chain"
40. A. K. Gon, M. Kulkarni, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 52 415201 (2019), "Duality in a hyperbolic interaction model integrable even in a strong confinement: Multi-soliton solutions and field theory"
39. S. Agarwal, M. Kulkarni, A. Dhar, J. Stat Phys, 176, 6, 1463 (2019), "Some connections between the Classical Calogero-Moser model and the Log Gas"
38. B. K. Agarwalla, M. Kulkarni, D. Segal, Phys. Rev. B 100, 035412 (2019), "Photon statistics of a double quantum dot micromaser: Quantum treatment"
37. A. Das, K. Damle, A. Dhar, D. A. Huse, M. Kulkarni, C. B. Mendl, H. Spohn, J Stat Phys, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10955-019-02397-y
(2019), "Nonlinear Fluctuating Hydrodynamics for the Classical XXZ Spin Chain"
36. J. Lu, R. Wang, J.Ren, M. Kulkarni, J-H. Jiang, Phys. Rev. B 99, 035129 (2019), "Quantum Dot circuit-QED thermoelectric diodes and transistors"
35. J. P. Deka, M. Kulkarni, A. K. Sarma, arXiv:1812.10126 (2018), "Extreme Events and Chaotic Dynamics in PT-symmetric Lienard Oscillators"
34. M. Kulkarni, G. Mandal, T. Morita, Phys. Rev. A 98, 043610 (2018), "Quantum quench and thermalization of one-dimensional Fermi gas via phase space hydrodynamics"
33. R. Härtle, C. Schinabeck, M. Kulkarni, D. Gelbwaser-Klimovsky, M. Thoss, U. Peskin, Phys. Rev. B 98, 081404 (2018), "Cooling by heating in nonequilibrium nanosystems"
32. A. Purkayastha, S. Sanyal, A. Dhar, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. B 97, 174206 (2018), Editors' Suggestion, “Anomalous transport in the Aubry-André-Harper model in isolated and open systems”
31. M. Kulkarni, S. M. Hein, E. Kapit, C. Aron, Phys. Rev. B 97, 064506 (2018), "Permanent spin currents in cavity-qubit systems"
30. A. Purkayastha, A. Dhar, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. B, 96, 180204, Rapid Communications, (2017), “Non-equilibrium phase diagram of a 1D quasiperiodic system with a single-particle mobility edge”
29. M. Kulkarni, A. P. Polychronakos, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 50 455202 (2017), "Emergence of Calogero family of models in external potentials: Duality, Solitons and Hydrodynamics"
28. A. Purkayastha, A. Dhar, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. A 94, 052134, (2016), “Non-linear transport in an out-of-equilibrium single-site Bose Hubbard model: scaling, rectification and time dynamics”
27. B. K. Agarwalla, M. Kulkarni, S. Mukamel, D. Segal, Phys. Rev. B 94, 121305(R) (2016) , “Giant photon gain in large-scale quantum dot circuit-QED systems"
26. B. K. Agarwalla, M. Kulkarni, S. Mukamel, D. Segal, Phys. Rev. B 94, 035434 (2016) “Tunable photonic cavity coupled to a voltage-biased double quantum dot system: Diagrammatic NEGF approach”
25. F. Franchini, M. Kulkarni, A. Trombettoni, New J. Phys. 18, 115003, (2016), “Hydrodynamics of local excitations after an interaction quench in 1D cold atomic gases”
24. C. Aron, M.Kulkarni and H. E. Tureci , Phys. Rev. X 6, 011032 (2016), “Photon-mediated interactions: a scalable tool to create and sustain entangled many-body states”
23. A. Purkayastha, A. Dhar, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. A 93, 062114, (2016), “Exact Redfield description for open non-interacting quantum systems and failure of the Lindblad approach”
22. M. E. Schwartz, L. Martin, E. Flurin, C. Aron, M. Kulkarni, H. E. Tureci, I. Siddiqi, Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 240503 (2016), “Stabilizing entanglement via symmetry-selective bath engineering in superconducting qubits”
21. JH. Jiang, M. Kulkarni, D. Segal, Y. Imry, Phys. Rev. B 92, 045309 (2015), “Phonon-thermoelectric transistors and rectifiers”
20. R. Hartle, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. B 91, 245429 (2015), “Effect of broadening in the weak coupling limit of vibrationally coupled electron transport through molecular junctions and the analogy to quantum dot circuit QED systems”
19. M. Kulkarni, D. A. Huse, H. Spohn, Phys. Rev. A 92, 043612 (2015), “Fluctuating hydrodynamics for a discrete Gross-Pitaevskii equation: mapping to Kardar-Parisi-Zhang universality class”
18. F. Franchini, A. Gromov, M. Kulkarni, A. Trombettoni, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 48 (2015) 28FT01 (Fast Track Communication) “Universal dynamics of a soliton after an interaction quench”
17. C. Aron, M.Kulkarni and H. E. Tureci , Phys. Rev. A 90, 062305 (2014) “Steady-state entanglement of spatially separated qubits via quantum bath engineering”
16. M.Kulkarni, O. Cotlet and H. E. Tureci, Phys. Rev. B, 90, 125402 (2014) “Cavity-coupled double-quantum dot at finite bias: analogy with lasers and beyond”
15. M.Kulkarni, B. Oztop and H. E. Tureci, Phys. Rev. Lett, 111, 220408 (2013) “Cavity-mediated near-critical dissipative dynamics of a driven condensate”
14. M. Kulkarni, K. L. Tiwari and D. Segal, New Journal of Physics, 15, 013014 (2013)”Full density matrix dynamics for large quantum systems: interactions, decoherence and inelastic effects”
13. M. Kulkarni and A. Lamacraft, Phys. Rev. A 88, 021603, Rapid Communications (2013) “Finite-temperature dynamical structure factor of the one-dimensional Bose gas: From the Gross-Pitaevskii equation to the Kardar-Parisi-Zhang universality class of dynamical critical phenomena”
12. M. Kulkarni, K. L. Tiwari and D. Segal, Phys. Rev. B 86, 155424 (2012) “Towards equilibration and thermalization between finite quantum systems: Unitary emulation of dephasing effects and inelastic interactions”
11. M. Kulkarni and A. G. Abanov, Phys. Rev. A, 86, 033614 (2012) “Hydrodynamics of cold atomic gases in the limit of weak nonlinearity, dispersion, and dissipation”
10. M. Kulkarni and R. M. Konik, arXiv:1109.5731 (2011), “The Fermi liquid nature of the ground state of double quantum dots in parallel from a 1/N expansion”
9. A. G. Abanov, A. Gromov, M. Kulkarni, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 44 ,295203 (2011) “Soliton solutions of Calogero model in harmonic potential”
8. S. Ganeshan, M. Kulkarni and A. C. Durst, Phys. Rev. B 84, 064503 (2011) “Quasiparticle scattering from vortices in d-wave superconductors. II. Berry phase contribution”
7. J. Joseph, J. E. Thomas, M. Kulkarni, A. G. Abanov, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 150401 (2011) “Observation of shock waves in a strongly interacting Fermi gas”
6. M. Kulkarni and A. G. Abanov, Nucl. Phys. B, 846, 122 (2011) “Cold Fermi gas with inverse square interaction in a harmonic trap”
5. M. Kulkarni and R. M. Konik, Phys. Rev. B 83, 245121 (2011) “The RKKY Interaction and the Nature of the Ground State of Double Quantum Dots in Parallel”
4. M. Kulkarni, S. Ganeshan and A. C. Durst, Phys. Rev. B 84, 064502 (2011) “Quasiparticle scattering from vortices in d-wave superconductors I: Superflow contribution”
3. F. Franchini and M. Kulkarni, Nucl. Phys. B, 825, 320 (2010) “Emptiness and Depletion Formation Probability in spin models with inverse square interaction”
2. M. Kulkarni. F. Franchini and A. G. Abanov, Phys. Rev. B 80, 165105 (2009) “Nonlinear dynamics of spin and charge in spin-Calogero model”
1. M. Kulkarni, N. Seshadri, V. S. C. Manga Rao, S. Dutta Gupta, Journal of Modern Optics, 10, Volume 51 No. 4, 549-557 “Control of superluminal transit through a heterogeneous medium”